Public Housing2020-07-22T08:05:18-05:00

Public Housing

The Public Housing program provides rental assistance to qualified income-eligible families. The SHA owns and operates 466 rental units and qualified families pay approximately 30% of their adjusted gross income for rent. Many of these units are handicap accessible. The Superior Housing Authority also handles the property management for 7 properties in the city of Superior.

Request Maintenance

When an issue arises at your housing location, please fill out the request form below.

Get in Touch about Public Housing


    What happens once I am deemed eligible for Public Housing?2020-02-21T12:25:09-05:00
    1. Your information will be compiled and your income calculated.
    2. SHA will determine what size unit you are eligible for based on:
      Number of Bedrooms Number of Persons
      Minimum Maximum
      0 1 1
      1 1 2
      2 2 4
      3 3 6
      4 4 8
      5 5 10
    3. You will be offered the next available unit that meets the needs of your family size and any accessibility features needed.

    You are allowed to decline the offer, for good cause, and remain on the list until the next unit becomes available.

    If you decline the offer without good cause your name will be removed from the waitlist and if you are still interested in Public Housing you would need to reapply.

    What happens when I accept the offer?2020-02-21T12:26:19-05:00

    Your Housing Specialist will set up a move-in date and schedule you an appointment to come in and sign the lease.

    At this appointment, the Housing Specialist will explain the Lease, Resident Handbook and other rules and regulations that govern Public Housing.

    Do I have to pay a deposit?2020-02-21T12:26:41-05:00

    Yes, SHA requires a $150.00 deposit at the time of move-in. If you are unable to pay this in full at the time of move-in, talk to your Housing Specialist and they may be able to make a payment arrangement.

    How much will my rent be?2020-02-21T12:27:00-05:00

    On the Public Housing program, a tenant will pay 30% of their monthly income towards rent.

    SHA uses your adjusted income to determine your rent amount. Your Housing Specialist will review this calculation with you at your move-in orientation appointment.

    When and where do I pay my rent?2020-02-21T12:27:44-05:00

    Your first months rent is due at move-in and the first of the month every month after that.

    You can by check or money order at Superior Savings Bank at 1130 Tower Ave, Superior, WI (bring your rent statement to the bank with you) or you can drop it in the rent drop box out front of SHA offices at 1219 N Eighth St., Superior, WI.

    SHA does not accept cash payments.

    Do I have to pay Utilities?2020-02-21T12:28:13-05:00

    Depending on the site, you may or may not need to pay utilities. SHA provides a utility allowance for those that pay utilities.

    The Utility Allowance will reduce your rent amount. Your Housing Specialist will explain this calculation at your move-in orientation.

    What happens after I move in?2024-01-11T17:13:53-05:00
    1. You will be required to attend an annual recertification appointment to redetermine your income.
    2. SHA also understands that circumstance can change throughout the year. Please report all changes to your household size, income and/or deductions, to your Housing Specialist, in writing, within 10 days of the change. The Housing Specialist will determine if the change will affect your rent portion.
    3. You may have one or more required inspections throughout the year. SHA will give you advanced notice of these inspections.
    Can I have a pet?2020-03-10T09:06:53-05:00

    SHA does allow pets, with restrictions. Please see SHA’s Pet Policy HERE

    Can I have someone move in with me?2020-02-21T12:30:23-05:00

    In order for someone to move in with you, they must be added to your Lease. The first step would be to contact your housing specialist, in writing to make the request.

    The person must go through the same eligibility screen as an applicant.

    SHA cannot add people to the Lease if it will cause over-crowding.

    You must report the birth, adoption or court awarded custody of any minor children within 10 days of the change, in writing, to your Housing Specialist.

    What if I need a repair in my unit?2020-03-18T16:06:44-05:00

    If you find an item in your unit that is in need of repair, you are required to report it in a reasonable time.

    Please click on the link to work orders HERE

    If the damage was tenant caused you may be charged a Maintenance fee. You can find the fee schedule HERE

    What if I want to move to a different City/State?2020-02-21T12:32:15-05:00

    SHA’s Public Housing is in the City of Superior only. If you would like to move, you must give proper notice per your Lease.

    Contact your Housing Specialist and they will help you through that process.

    What if I have more questions?2020-02-21T12:32:32-05:00

    Your Housing Specialist is your best resource in getting your questions answered. They will be happy to assist you with any questions that come up in the future.

    How Do I Apply?

    In addition to our online version, applications may be picked up at the Administration office during office hours, or call to have one mailed to you.

    Go to Top